Objective: This study was conducted to evaluate the prophylactic antibiotic administration in the surgical clinic of Dr. H. Marzoeki Mahdi Hospital, Bogor, Indonesia.
Methods: The data were assessed from the medical records of all patients who underwent surgery from January to December 2013 retrospectively. Antibiotic prophylaxis was assessed based on the Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines and the National Guidelines of Antibiotic Usage, which includes the type, time, and duration of prophylactic administration of antibiotics.
Results: A total of 577 patients were included in this study, consisting of 202 men and 375 women. The most frequently performed surgery is a common surgery 347 (60.1%), followed by obstetric operations 176 (30.5%), and orthopedic surgery 54 (9.4%). In this study, all patients received prophylactic antibiotics before surgery. Cefotaxime (87.8%) was the most commonly used antibiotics for surgical prophylaxis. Of the 577 patients, only 1.1% of patients reported with surgical site infection (SSI).
Conclusion: This study shows that adherence to the guidelines of surgical antibiotic prophylaxis is still very low. Therefore, efforts should be made to increase the compliance of using antibiotic prophylaxis in accordance with standard guidelines to improve the rational use of antibiotics.
KEYWORDS: Antibiotic prophylaxis, Surgery, Surgical site infection
1. Mangram AJ, Horan TC, Pearson ML, Silver LC, Jarvis WR. The hospital infection control practices advisory committee. Guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1999;20:247-80.
2. Leaper DJ, van Goor H, Reilly J, Petrosillo N, Geiss HK, Torres AJ, et al. Surgical site infection-a European perspective of incidence and economic burden. Int Wound J 2004;1(4):247-73.
3. Akalin S, Kutlu SS, Cirak B, EskiÃ§orapci SY, Bagdatli D, Akkaya S. Application of ATC/DDD methodology to evaluate perioperative antimicrobial prophylaxis. Int J Clin Pharm 2012;34(1):120-6.
4. Matti PR, Querol RC, Velmonte MA, Vera RL, Alejandria M. Prescribing practices of surgeons and factors that limit adherence to the Philippine college of surgeons clinical practice guidelines on antimicrobial prophylaxis for elective surgical procedures at the UP-PGH surgical wards. Philipp J Microbiol Infect Dis 2002;31(3):107-24.
5. Radji M, Aini F, Fauziyah S. Evaluation of antibiotic prophylaxis administration at the orthopedic surgery clinic of tertiary hospital in Jakarta, Indonesia. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2014;4(3):190-3.
6. Radji M, Fathni R, Fauziyah S. Evaluation of surgical antibiotics prophylaxis in tertiary care hospital in Jakarta Indonesia. Experiment 2014;18(4):1292-6.
7. Ng RS, Chong CP. Surgeonsâ€™ adherence to guidelines for surgical antimicrobial prophylaxis-a review. Australas Med J 2012;5(10):534-40.
8. Desiana LS, Soemardi A, Radji M. Evaluation of prophylactic antibiotic administration at the surgical ward of Dharmais Cancer Hospital, Jakarta. Indonesian J Cancer 2008;2(4):126-31.
9. Brethis CS, Thamizharasan S, Sridevi SA, Kalaiselvi B, Singh MB, Vijaykumar K. A prospective study of the pattern of use of antimicrobial agents in surgical prophylaxis in a tertiary care centre. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(1):283-7.
10. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN). Guidelines 104. Antibiotic Prophylaxis in Surgery. A National Clinical Guideline. Edinburgh, UK: SIGN; 2008. Available from: http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/sign104.pdf.
11. Al-Mulhim FA, Baragbah MA, Sadat-Ali M, Alomran AS, Azam MQ. Prevalence of surgical site infection in orthopedic surgery: A 5-year analysis. Int Surg 2014;99(3):264-8.
12. Mawalla B, Mshana SE, Chalya PL, Imirzalioglu C, Mahalu W. Predictors of surgical site infections among patients undergoing major surgery at Bugando medical centre in north western Tanzania. BMC Surg 2010;11:21.12.
13. Anvikar AR, Deshmukh AB, Karyakarte RP, Damle AS, Patwardhan NS, Malik AK, et al. One year prospective study of 3,280 surgical wounds. Indian J Med Microb 1999;17:129-32.
14. Bachoura A, Guitton TG, Smith RM, Vrahas MS, Zurakowski D, Ring D. Infirmity and injury complexity are risk factors for surgical-site infection after operative fracture care. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2011;469(9):2621-30.
15. American Society of Health System Pharmacists. Therapeutic guidelines on antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery. Am J Health Syst Pharm 1999;56(18):1839-88. 16. Bratzler DW, Dellinger EP, Olsen KM, Perl TM, Auwaerter PG, Bolon MK, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2013;70(3):195-283.
17. Esposito S, Noviello S, Vanasia A, Venturino P. Ceftriaxone versus other antibiotics for surgical prophylaxis: A meta-analysis. Clin Drug Investig 2004;24(1):29-39.
18. Kigera JW, Turyakira C. Audit of prophylactic antibiotic use in orthopaedic surgery in Mulago hospital. Ann Afr Surg 2012;9:16-8.
19. Gillespie WJ, Walenkamp G. Antibiotic prophylaxis for surgery for proximal femoral and other closed long bone fractures. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000244.pub2.
20. Malhotra R, Singla B, Walia G. Incidence of postoperative wound infection by aerob with special reference to methicillin resistant Staphylococcue aureus. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5(4):392-6.
21. Fukatsu K, Saito H, Matsuda T, Ikeda S, Furukawa S, Muto T. Influences of type and duration of antimicrobial prophylaxis on an outbreak of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and on the incidence of wound infection. Arch Surg 1997;132(12):1320-5.
22. Dancer SJ. The problem with cephalosporins. J Antimicrob Chemother 2001;48(4):463-78.
23. Khan SA, Rodrigues G, Kumar P, Rao PG. Current challenges in adherence to clinical guidelines for antibiotic prophylaxis in surgery. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2006;16(6):435-7.
24. Pons-Busom M, Aguas-Compaired M, DelÃ¡s J, Eguileor-Partearroyo B. Compliance with local guidelines for antibiotic prophylaxis in surgery. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004;25(4):308-12.
25. Parulekar L, Soman R, Singhal T, Rodrigues C, Dastur FD, Mehta A. How good is compliance with surgical antibiotic prophylaxis guidelines in a tertiary care private hospital in India? A prospective study. Indian J Surg 2009;71:15-8.